Monday, September 12, 2011

Knowing You Cannot Fail

Faithful reader, I have been struggling for a while now - continuing with my revision of Stubborn.

Sometimes you feel like you've lived too long...
The days drip slowly off the page


And then you find yourself
Pacing the cage.


These lines are from a song I've identified with for as long as the song has been sung.  It is a variation of the common cries of anguish - due to living a life of unfulfilled dreams.

Everyone has this inside of them.

There's another common anthem:  The Road Not Taken.

They're the same, really.

When I began this epic of writing a screenplay that was gifted to me, I also started closely examining the lifestyles of successful people.  One that stands out is Jay Leno.  I read his autobiography, Leading With My Chin.  

He knew he could not fail.  It was simply a possibility he could not comprehend.  Hence, he didn't.

That is a key theme in my screenplay:  You know you cannot fail.  Who knows how or why?

When I was a young girl (ages ago, maybe eons) and so attuned to horseback riding, I had a very skittish and clumsy very tall horse.  There were huge ditches that laced my grandmother's farm where I would ride, fancying myself as a (1) fox hunting rider; or (2) steeplechase jockey.  I would urge poor clumsy Sinbad over these huge gaping chasms with the thought:  "Throw your heart over the fence and the horse will follow."  He never stumbled once.  Maybe that's all it takes.  I am trying.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you have to say.

    If more people would "throw their heart over the fence" the world would be a much better place.

    ReplyDelete