Sunday, August 21, 2011

Some Reviewer Magic

This broken ankle is at once a blessing and a curse.

Curse:  Can't sleep worth a crap, can't ride the red sport bike, can't drive the snappy little white convertible.  Going anywhere saps my energy to where I feel like I'm a hundred years old.  Or more.  Major suckage.

Blessing:  Must focus on the Screenplay.  No excuses.  Not even for me.  And I'm on it, once again.  Thanks to Wonderful Sister who's provided a wealth of information on character exposition.  Thanks!

It's also given me an opportunity to thoroughly evaluate the screenwriter reviewer's review:

I have read between the lines of his critique.  He is a gifted reviewer and for once I will reveal his identity for those like me that aspire:  Mike Cheda.  You can do a web search and find his page.  Good guy, a very good guy indeed.

Case in point:  One of his critiques was that my dialogue was "on the nose" - meaning that my characters were saying exactly what they were feeling or thinking.  Did you ever realize how wrong that was?  Moviegoers need to become 'invested' in the dialogue, i.e. develop the conclusions the screenwriters want you to reach, without telling you.  Therein lies the Art.  The writer needs to dance around the point, albeit briefly, and let the viewer reach the conclusion you want them to.  Who knew?

It sure changes your perspective.

I am moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment