Tuesday, November 1, 2011

From Sunlight to Darkness, and I Really Mean It

It's about 10:00 PST and tomorrow I will get aboard a big, inhoSPITable airplane that will dump me off in Seattle, home of an horrific and inhoSPITable air hub, and then catch another similar aircraft - oh hey! - both rife with screaming kids - that will finally excrete me into Anchorage.  Sound bitter?  Yah, pretty much.  About 65 here now, 30-ish in Anchorage; then on to minus 20-ish in Prudhoe Bay the following morning.  Nothing like a visceral slap of incredibly cold weather in the face to make you own up to - what the hell were you thinking?

You make it what it is.

After four months incapacitation I find myself dreading and yes, afraid, of what awaits me back where I work.   My colleagues have given the disease we all have about our occupation a name:  the Golden Handcuffs.


See, the compensation is so excellent, and you cannot even hope to find a better deal;  and you're working less than half a year so it's easier to forgive the misery you deal with when you're on-shift.  I guess.

You make it what it is.


Tomorrow I'll see the little brown dogs - the ones that pester the life out of me when I'm cooking in the kitchen - and the ones that have learned that I will take them for walkies every morning - for the last time in two weeks.  How can I explain it to the little guys I'm going away for awhile - I don't speak dog-ese.

I of course will cowgirl up like I always do.  I will make it what it is - and nothing more.  It is a job.  It pays the bills.

What has this to do with Stubborn?  Not a lot, faithful reader.  But perhaps you can get an insight into my mindsight.

Cripes, don't we all have our crosses to bear?

No comments:

Post a Comment